Full disclaimer, we know this isn’t sexy and doesn’t offer much of an incentive. However, NPI registration is one step in ensuring members of the Black press are standing on the same firm ground as other news publishers, and offered opportunities in News Tab.
After a news publisher successfully completes News Page Index registration, they are eligible to appear in Facebook’s News Tab. The Tab serves Facebook users who actively seek out news content.
Completing News Page Index registration also ensures a news publisher’s boosted posts and ads that contain content about “issues of social importance” are exempt from Facebook’s authorization process required by non-news brands. (It will make it easier for you to promote your content and run ads)
In early September the Facebook Journalism Project will offer 1:1 support to any NNPA member who needs help completing this process. Email address to access this support to come.
To qualify for Facebook news Page registration, Pages must:
- Publish in an eligible language
- Publish as a news entity, not an individual, and reflect the judgment of a multi-person editorial staff
- Primarily create journalism that reports on current events or timely information, and that is not parody or satire
- Be active in the last 90 days
- Have existed for at least 90 days
- Link to a functioning website with a verified domain (more below)
- Confirm its ownership and identity through business verification (more below)
- Comply with Facebook’s Community Standards, Pages Policy and Platform Policy
- Comply with our Advertising Policies and Monetization Eligibility Standards, if the Page chooses to advertise or monetize
- Have a name that reflects a relationship to its associated website or owning business.
- Have the majority of its posted links come from the website verified for news Page registration
- More here https://www.facebook.com/journalismproject/tools/news-page-registration
Step 1: Business Manager
- Check whether you have a Business Manager associated with your news Page (Be sure you are logged into your personal Facebook Profile account)
- If clicking on the above Business Manager link takes you to your Business Manager account, that’s great! Now confirm your Page is connected in Business Manager
- Only proceed if you are able to access your Business Manager and connect your Page
- NPI overview
- Business Verification
- Domain Verification
- NPI Registration
- Create a new ads Disclaimer if you plan on boosting posts, running ads and/or using ad credits
Business Manager (user needs FB Profile username/password)
o Business Manager Guide https://www.facebook.com/business/learn/how-business-manager-works/guide
o Another version of BM basics https://business.facebook.com
Business Verification (different from blue checkmark verification)
Step by Step instructions here https://www.facebook.com/business/help/2058515294227817?id=180505742745347
If there are issues verifying your business have the following handy:
- Official ID
- Official documents for business legal name such as business license, articles of incorporation or business tax registration
- document that shows both the legal name of your business and the mailing address or phone number shown on the screen
- Articles of incorporation
- Business bank statement
- Business license
- Employer identification number (EIN)
- IRS SS-4 (Ein Assignment Letter)
- IRS 147c (EIN Confirmation Letter)
- Taxpayer identification number
Troubleshooting IDs or documents https://www.facebook.com/business/help/2342133782492969?id=180505742745347
Domain verification requires the webmaster for your domain to place a special code on your website https://www.facebook.com/business/help/286768115176155?id=199156230960298
Once all the above actions are completed, submitting an NPI application is two steps in Business Manager.
There is a review prior to approval and regular reviews of all NPI registered pages.
Create an Ads Disclaimer